September 6, 2022
Air ducts play a critical role in your North Bay Area home. They circulate air from your HVAC system to all rooms in the house, helping to maintain comfort for your family throughout the year. The quality of your indoor environment greatly depends on the quality of your air ducts. Dirty or blocked air ducts won’t just create air quality issues in your home, but it can drive up your utility bill as well. If you are on the fence as to if you should have your air ducts cleaned, we are going to review the benefits of professional duct cleaning, so you can make a decision.
What are the Benefits of Professional Duct Cleaning?
Are you trying to decide if duct cleaning is needed in your Marin, Sonoma, or Napa County home? While annual maintenance of your HVAC equipment is recommended, yearly duct cleaning is not necessary. The typical home will do best with duct cleaning every 3 to 5 years. Below we review some of the benefits of professional duct cleaning, so you can decide if it is the right time for your home.
- Improved Indoor Air Quality: As we have reviewed before, nothing is more important than the air that we breathe, so if your home’s indoor air quality (IAQ) is less than stellar, you and your family could be breathing in allergens and other pollutants. The Environmental Protection Agency rates poor indoor air quality as an area of major concern, noting that common contaminants, endlessly redistributed by a central air system, can contribute to allergy symptoms and sickness. One of the leading causes of poor indoor air quality are air ducts that are filled with pollutants and other debris. Over time, these contaminants accumulate within the ductwork and then reenter your living space. Cleaning your ductwork can help to improve your home’s IAQ.
- Boost Efficiency: If your home’s ducts are blocked with debris, it can cause your system to work harder to maintain your desired temperature levels, increasing your energy bills and decreasing the system’s efficiency. Once dust particles, pet dander, and other debris accumulate beyond a certain level within the ductwork, they impede airflow. This will cause inefficient flow of conditioned air, leading to cold and hot spots within your home; thus, the unit will consume more energy. With professional duct cleaning you can improve airflow and circulation throughout your home; therefore, lowering your utility bills and leading to less energy waste.
- Eliminate Unpleasant Odors: Over time, mold and mildew, and other odors can get trapped in your ductwork leading them to be redistributed throughout your home. Keep in mind, rodents and pests can also make their way into your ducts and leave behind stinky odors. A benefit of professional duct cleaning is that it can help to eliminate any bad odors you have noticed coming from your ducts and can help restore a fresh smell to your home.
- Reduce Fire Hazard Risk: Blocked or dirty ducts can create a fire hazard. Over time, dirt, lint, rodent nests, and other materials may accumulate within the ductwork, and when they heat up, they might ignite and cause a fire. Duct cleaning can help to eliminate any debris in your ducts that could put you, your family, and your home at risk for a fire.
- Identify Other Problems: You may not know it, but your HVAC system could have other issues, that would not be identified without a professional checking your system. A benefit of professional duct cleaning is that leaks, gaps, loose connections, and other problems can be spotted, so they can be resolved before they are a much larger issue. Fixing duct issues can improve your system’s efficiency, save you money, and extend the lifespan of your heating and cooling system.
The main benefit of professional duct cleaning is that it can help you enjoy greater comfort throughout your home. If you think dirty or blocked air ducts are the cause of your indoor air quality problem, contact our experts for an assessment and find out if duct cleaning is the best solution for your home.
It’s also a good idea to schedule professional duct cleaning after a major home remodeling or renovation project, which may result in dust or debris entering your ductwork.
At Bragg Plumbing & Heating we are committed to helping our neighbors throughout Marin, Sonoma, and Napa Counties improve their indoor environment, enjoy greater energy savings, and achieve their comfort goals. Whether you need air duct cleaning or you have a problem with leaking ductwork that requires sealing or insulation, you can count on the Bragg team to provide the best solution for your home. Contact us today.